Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Renting a home?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Renting a home?

Post by Harry on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Renting With Your Dog Regardless of Breed

1. Bring your well trained dog with you to meet the landlords. It’s easy to decline dog owners on the phone, but so much harder when they meet a great applicant and lovely dog in person. Be polite no matter how they respond. Many a landlord has been moved to give applicants a try when they act calm, professional, and show a willingness to address their concerns.

2. Make an eye-catching pet resume. Include cute photos and letters of recommendation from your vet, neighbors, and trainers, showing how well-liked your dog is and how responsible you are. Describe any arrangements you make for your pet while you’re at work or away on vacation.

3. Earn your dog’s CGC title. Ask your trainer how to help your dog become a Canine Good Citizen. This impressive certification helps show landlords that your pet is able to demonstrate the best manners.

4. Offer to purchase renter’s insurance that covers your dog. Liability is every property owner’s biggest concern, so help put them at ease. It is a small price to pay to help your landlord feel good about renting to you.

5. Offer an additional pet deposit to help cover any damages. If you can afford it, this extra cost may be worth it if your dog is able to remain a part of your family.

6. Do not lie about or hide your dog. You’re much safer if you stay honest and if you have the landlord add your dog’s name and breed to the lease. If you decide to hide your dog, you’re at the mercy of ill-informed neighbors who might turn you in! Landlords are more likely to evict dogs when they’re pressured by neighbors or they’re caught off guard.

7. Be an awesome tenant. Pick up after your dog. Don’t let him bark non-stop or annoy others. Don’t let him run loose. Let willing neighbors meet your well-behaved pet so they can support you in ownership. Consider inviting them over for some enjoyable ‘get to know’ time. Wear a thick skin and be polite to those that are ruse or afraid. Make it your mission to help them realize you’re a thoughtful, responsible dog owner with a well loved pet!

8. Be resourceful and persistent. Consider placing a "Dog friendly rental property WANTED" add on Done Deal or Buy&Sell etc.

More links to help you locate pet friendly housing: peoplewithpets.com • rent.com • apartmentsource.com

9. Be patient. It can take time to find a rental that will alow your pet, but patience will pay off. If you’re in a pinch, consider boarding your pet at your vet’s office or boarding facility to keep him safe while you hunt for a pet friendly rental.

Hope this helps people here on the forum, anyone with stories of them being refused rental or how they got to rent a place, could you please post it up?

Last edited by Harry on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harry

Back to top Go down

Re: Renting a home?

Post by celticpitbulls on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:24 pm

great post harry some important tips in there,
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:31 pm

I was just going to ask you to sticky it :D i;m going to edit it to suit Ireland now.

I found this today when I thought "What if I move out when i'm finished school, and still can't get a dog" Surprised So hopefully this will help....
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:33 pm

im sure it will, i have come across a lot of good owners that had to give their dogs up due to new rules in renting, good topic and very useful.
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Dont think id have my house if i told my landlord i own 4 dogs lol! So Where so lucky to have them just around the corner in my OH mothers :D Dont know what i do without her :)

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:00 pm

nice one harry i'll be looking for a place soon enough and plan to have my pit so this came in handy sound pal
slattery9104

http://www.christopherslattery.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:55 am

Once apon a time, there was a boy looking at YBR motorbikes on DoneDeal when suddenly he finds......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He goes on to the website, he searches "Rent in Dublin" he selects "Pet Friendly" and then faints when 30+ results show up.

And thet all lived hapilly ever after.

THE END.
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:56 am

That's such a great story.
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by blackpitbull on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:30 pm

my land lord tinks i have a small yorkie hahahahaha sucker

blackpitbull

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:58 pm

I think you just gave yourself away mr. Razz the only member who had 2 pits and a Yorkie was Asti.

H-Coen, Detective Razz Razz
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by blackpitbull on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:06 pm

i have 1 pit dude and no yorkie i just told her i had 1 who is asti is he she from newzeland what a name

blackpitbull

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:26 pm

you said when you joined you had a pit and a pit cross, asti is a car name, something with mitsubishisi's (IMO Toyota>Mitsu) and he had a Yorkie aswell.
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Asti is a town in Italy lol!
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:50 pm

blackpitbull wrote:i have 1 pit dude and no yorkie i just told her i had 1 who is asti is he she from newzeland what a name
Its the name of a car, Harold puts his foot in it everytime lol!
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:33 am

eamo s wrote:
blackpitbull wrote:i have 1 pit dude and no yorkie i just told her i had 1 who is asti is he she from newzeland what a name
Its the name of a car, Harold puts his foot in it everytime lol!

90% of threads I do anyway Razz
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:44 am

I know what you mean Harry Razz
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:06 pm

my landlord has no prob with our lovely pit there main prob with them is people that dont clean up after them and let them reck the house but they do like to chew up things Laughing
Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:43 pm

hello jason welcome aboard... can you plz introduce yourself in link below... thanks
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top