Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.




The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Harry on Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Yea, i'd say that's what happened all right.

them Catahoula curs are weird lookin.
avatar
Harry

Posts : 4729
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 21

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by culabula on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:37 pm

celticpitbulls wrote:i have to agree, it was never a colour that existed before and if its new then another breed would of had to be bred into the strain, i suppose that would make it not pure.

id say the origins of the colour lie back in the bull baiting days,perhaps smithfield collie or something similar was bred in to give them a little more sense around bulls.supposedly the smithfield had a more molosser type skull than other collie types,so it may have happened the other way around-i.e bulldogge type blood added to collies to produce droving dogs(heelers) able to control half wild cattle.Then again i could be completely wrong and divergant collie types may have existed since ancient celtic times.
avatar
culabula

Posts : 44
Join date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:40 pm

zzzzzzzz


Last edited by RickyB on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by celticpitbulls on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:12 am

culabula wrote:
celticpitbulls wrote:i have to agree, it was never a colour that existed before and if its new then another breed would of had to be bred into the strain, i suppose that would make it not pure.

id say the origins of the colour lie back in the bull baiting days,perhaps smithfield collie or something similar was bred in to give them a little more sense around bulls.supposedly the smithfield had a more molosser type skull than other collie types,so it may have happened the other way around-i.e bulldogge type blood added to collies to produce droving dogs(heelers) able to control half wild cattle.Then again i could be completely wrong and divergant collie types may have existed since ancient celtic times.

sorry culabula i should have said a bit clearer when i said it was never a colour that existed before i meant within the pit bull breed Wink

______________________________________________
You Can't Judge My Choices Without knowing My Reasons!
avatar
celticpitbulls
Admin

Posts : 5950
Join date : 2008-04-20
Location : DUBLIN

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by culabula on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:33 am

the gene for it could have well travelled down the generations un noticed.Brindle can hide merle very well.If you saw a brindle merle and white lurcher youd think it was brindle and white.On the other hand a very possible modern source for it could be the catahoula leopard dog-american boar hunters sometimes cross them with apbts-maybe a cross that looked like a pure apbt was registered on false papers.Ive seen a few apbts(purebred) that had one or both eyes blue,,merle and blue eyes often go together.I honestly dont know for sure ,just ideas/theories.Happy new year as well by the way.
avatar
culabula

Posts : 44
Join date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:14 am

xxxxxxxx


Last edited by RickyB on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by .butch on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:13 am


http://www.diademchihuahuas.50megs.com/about.html
"All breeds carry the merle gene. There are circa 30 genes affecting coat colour - all breeds have the genes but not all versions of the genes."

.butch

Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:37 am

zzzzzzzzz


Last edited by RickyB on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:43 pm

RickyB wrote:The APBT dont come merle , no record of any APBT that colour pre 1990s, when some one introduced some other breed to get this colour, and you will not find a pure bred registered APBT with this colour, any bulldog with colour is not a pure breed....R


scratch what do you mean any bulldog with colour is not a pure breed ? if thats the case are none of the bull breeds are pure ?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Harry on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm

I think he meant 'this' colour.

How did Saturday go? any catches?
avatar
Harry

Posts : 4729
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 21

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Harry wrote:I think he meant 'this' colour.

How did Saturday go? any catches?

didnt bother going harry they wanted to go !!! and im not goin running around chasing a lurcher with keiser on the lead ye couldnt let him loose till your right on top of the (thing)i'd rather go off with a shovel and do it that way ! so i went pike fishing sunday morning .

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 pm

zzzzzzzzzz


Last edited by RickyB on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:13 pm

RickyB wrote:, any bulldog with colour is not a pure breed....R

this is what im talking about ! but i get you now sorry about that ! Wink

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:25 pm

zzzzzzzz


Last edited by RickyB on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Harry on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:58 pm

A simple Typo :L
avatar
Harry

Posts : 4729
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 21

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by YENALED on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 am

jbrady wrote:
Harry wrote:I think he meant 'this' colour.

How did Saturday go? any catches?

didnt bother going harry they wanted to go !!! and im not goin running around chasing a lurcher with keiser on the lead ye couldnt let him loose till your right on top of the (thing)i'd rather go off with a shovel and do it that way ! so i went pike fishing sunday morning .

If you must talk about doing it with a shovel could you please PM each other as I find this subject upsetting. thank you

______________________________________________
avatar
YENALED
Admin

Posts : 2693
Join date : 2009-12-13
Location : GALWAY

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:39 pm

YENALED1 wrote:
jbrady wrote:
Harry wrote:I think he meant 'this' colour.

How did Saturday go? any catches?

didnt bother going harry they wanted to go !!! and im not goin running around chasing a lurcher with keiser on the lead ye couldnt let him loose till your right on top of the (thing)i'd rather go off with a shovel and do it that way ! so i went pike fishing sunday morning .

If you must talk about doing it with a shovel could you please PM each other as I find this subject upsetting. thank you

i dont care what you think !! to some ppl dogs are more than fashion accessories . this is one of the first posts i've made in a long time and your on me back again whats your problem ??

i've been talkin to a few ppl about this forum and the other one and you seem to be the one most ppl have a problem with , and now i know why !!!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by YENALED on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:54 pm

jbrady wrote:
YENALED1 wrote:
jbrady wrote:
Harry wrote:I think he meant 'this' colour.

How did Saturday go? any catches?

didnt bother going harry they wanted to go !!! and im not goin running around chasing a lurcher with keiser on the lead ye couldnt let him loose till your right on top of the (thing)i'd rather go off with a shovel and do it that way ! so i went pike fishing sunday morning .

If you must talk about doing it with a shovel could you please PM each other as I find this subject upsetting. thank you

i dont care what you think !! to some ppl dogs are more than fashion accessories . this is one of the first posts i've made in a long time and your on me back again whats your problem ??

i've been talkin to a few ppl about this forum and the other one and you seem to be the one most ppl have a problem with , and now i know why !!!

As I have said in the past there are plenty of other forums that would facilitate your needs. I dont think anyone on here thinks of their dogs as a fashion accessory including myself. It goes against the rules of this forum to personnally attack another member. In the past you have had a warning about this and it has come to the stage now it will not be tolerated anymore. I was being civil to you by asking you in a nice way to refrain from talking about this topic that also goes against forum rules, which leaves me with no choice but to withdraw your membership from this forum.

______________________________________________
avatar
YENALED
Admin

Posts : 2693
Join date : 2009-12-13
Location : GALWAY

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by KBK on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 am

Three words - Catahoula Leopard Dog

People have crossed Pits and other hunting dogs for hog catching in the states for about 100 years, the catahoula is the end product. There has even been talk of Blue merle dogs being used in matches going back many years. If you ask me, if you have a blue merle Pit then you effectivley have a crossbred mutt

KBK

Posts : 4
Join date : 2010-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Harry on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:25 pm

KBK wrote:Three words - Catahoula Leopard Dog

People have crossed Pits and other hunting dogs for hog catching in the states for about 100 years, the catahoula is the end product. There has even been talk of Blue merle dogs being used in matches going back many years. If you ask me, if you have a blue merle Pit then you effectivley have a crossbred mutt

X2
avatar
Harry

Posts : 4729
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 21

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'new' 'rare' Merle colouration,thoughts?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum