Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Temperament

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Temperament

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:58 pm

If there was a manual describing ideal Pit Bull temperament, it would probably read something like this: "The Pit Bull is goofily friendly towards people--family, friends, and strangers alike. Known for its sound character, strong nerve, and great intelligence, the breed makes an ideal companion for households with children, while remaining strong and vigilant enough to protect its loved ones if need be. It is never necessary to embark on guard or attack training with this breed, as they are naturally attuned to their environment and intuitive about real threats. Although never aggressive towards people without real need, the Pit Bull is dog-aggressive, to varying degrees. The properly socialized and trained Pit Bull should not be an instigator, yet neither should he shy away from a challenge. The breed is known for its high prey drive, and so due caution should be exercised when cats, rabbits, domestic fowl, and other such animals are present. Aggression towards other animals should not be viewed as a fault, although excessive, uncontrollable aggression is neither desired nor correct. Aggression towards humans should be viewed as a serious fault.

As our "ideal temperament manual" states above, the Pit Bull is generally a very friendly, stable, safe breed. Although in recent years some individuals have misused the breed and the media have misrepresented it, aggression towards humans never was and still isn't what the Pit Bull is about. Human-aggression is a serious matter, and not something that should be taken lightly. Human aggressive dogs (i.e. dogs that bite/attempt to bite humans) are an aberration. Growling (i.e. over toys, food, when moved off the sofa, bed, etc.) should be considered a warning, and possibly a precursor to biting behavior. It is imperative that owners seek professional help if their dog is exhibiting any of these behaviors.

Because the Pit Bull is generally such a people-friendly breed, they often make poor guards of property. Many specimens of the breed will allow strangers to enter the home or yard without a fuss, whether the owner is present or not. As a guardian of his human, however, the Pit Bull is quite willing and able to intercept an attack. The breed is credited with having exceptional judgement and will react only to real threats. Because of the Pit Bull's generally poor guarding instincts and natural inclination to protect his owner if need be, it is best to stay away from any sort of guard or protection dog training. A good dog can be ruined quite easily, making for a wary, untrusting animal that may become a danger to humans. Do not try to make the Pit Bull into something he is not. If a serious guard or attack dog is what you desire, it is best to look to one of the breeds that have been specifically created for that type of work.

This breed is known to keep its owners laughing. They are silly, almost to the point of being rediculous. Flailing around upside down on their backs, laying with their heads draped off the side of the couch, engaging in rambunctious sprints around the living room (known to Pit Bull folk as "pit fits"), these dogs are always clowning around. They are active and energetic, and too much dog for some to handle, just the right amount for others.

Pit Bulls can and do interact peacefully with other dogs and animals. Individual dog temperament, early training and socializing, all play an important role in whether or not a Pit Bull is capable of getting along with other animals. Many people successfully keep multiple Pit Bulls and other pets in the same household. Success is based on careful supervision, proper management and training, and the individual animals involved.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Temperament

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:45 pm

you should put a video of big Butch running around all masculine and then wen he sits by the fridge looking up at his Frolic whimmpering like a baby hehe Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by mary1 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:51 am

How true. Ben lives with a boxer, springer, 2 cavs, and 2 yorkies. Also 2 cats and 2 little humans. He is the one i have noticed that is more laid back than the rest. He will let the cats sleep on top of him and he wont move till they have had their sleep. Also he has never batted an eyelid with any of the rescues that have been here. I only have had one problem and that was with Twinkle the little JRT x Cav and then that wasnt him it was her. I dont know if she had every been in a scrap with a bull breed or maybe even a black and white dog before as when ever she used to see him she would scream, and that would freak Ben out.
mary1

Back to top Go down

Post by MelanieH on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:34 pm

Thanks for that great description on temperament. My pit/staff PJ, has had me puzzled for a long time! He's definitely all of the above, so goofy in fact that we call him forrest gump sometimes! He doesn't jump off the couch, he slithers off it and lands with a bang on the floor. i was fostering a little puppy at one stage and fat arse(another name!) jumped up on setee and plonked himself down on puppy. It was funny watching the pup trying to crawl out.
He's definitely into the birds! Would stand there for the day barking up at them! But on a more serious note, he has been in a couple of fights with 2 of my other dogs and it is so true that he wasn't the instigator. He can totally annoy them to the point that they go for him, but he doesn't know when enough is enough. We've just made the decision not to leave him on his own with them when we're not around. He's a big, old pet and apart from being a wee bit airy fairy, he's a heart of gold!!
MelanieH

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:24 pm

Thats very good.
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by grace.omahony on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:12 pm

That's really good, lola's so like that, just the most laid back dog ever.
grace.omahony

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:39 pm

MelanieH wrote:Thanks for that great description on temperament. My pit/staff PJ, has had me puzzled for a long time! He's definitely all of the above, so goofy in fact that we call him forrest gump sometimes! He doesn't jump off the couch, he slithers off it and lands with a bang on the floor. i was fostering a little puppy at one stage and fat arse(another name!) jumped up on setee and plonked himself down on puppy. It was funny watching the pup trying to crawl out.
He's definitely into the birds! Would stand there for the day barking up at them! But on a more serious note, he has been in a couple of fights with 2 of my other dogs and it is so true that he wasn't the instigator. He can totally annoy them to the point that they go for him, but he doesn't know when enough is enough. We've just made the decision not to leave him on his own with them when we're not around. He's a big, old pet and apart from being a wee bit airy fairy, he's a heart of gold!!

well he sounds lovely :D i have to say well done your a very sensible owner separating your dogs if you have any doubt a fight could break out and your not there to supervise, this can happen to any1 a fight can break out very easy and nobody there to stop it the aftermath can be very bad . its really good to see you have the knowledge and understanding of such an event happening and are taking the proper measures to prevent it :)
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MelanieH on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 pm

celticpitbulls wrote:
MelanieH wrote:Thanks for that great description on temperament. My pit/staff PJ, has had me puzzled for a long time! He's definitely all of the above, so goofy in fact that we call him forrest gump sometimes! He doesn't jump off the couch, he slithers off it and lands with a bang on the floor. i was fostering a little puppy at one stage and fat arse(another name!) jumped up on setee and plonked himself down on puppy. It was funny watching the pup trying to crawl out.

well he sounds lovely :D i have to say well done your a very sensible owner separating your dogs if you have any doubt a fight could break out and your not there to supervise, this can happen to any1 a fight can break out very easy and nobody there to stop it the aftermath can be very bad . its really good to see you have the knowledge and understanding of such an event happening and are taking the proper measures to prevent it :)
Unfortunately, Pj has had 2 fights. The 1st time was with Ebony, a staff. Got a call from a neighbour to say the dogs were fighting. I adopted Ebony and don't know what happened with her previous owner but any loud noises, bangs etc frighten her. Took her a long time to get used to me with a sweeping brush. Anyway, I reckon that something upset her and she started fretting. PJ picked up on her being upset and ended up with the 2 of them fighting. Blood, hair missing, teeth marks etc. Ebony ended up the worst. Poor thing got depressed and had bruising all over her chest and abdomen. Nothing that plenty of TLC didn't fix and an anticiotic. The 2nd time PJ kept tormenting Lenny, a german shepherd/collie cross. Lenny flipped and off the 2 of them started. Lenny was lucky that he had his height to defend him, he just ended up with a puncture wound on his leg. Very lucky too that when i went out and shouted at them, they stopped. The power that they have is something else. It's just something that you have to keep in your mind that if anything kicks off, any amount of damage can happen. Anyway, they are all living happily as a pack now. I've 2 terriers aswell. Long may the happiness continue flower
MelanieH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top