Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Change dog laws now’ says CWU after girl’s mauling

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Change dog laws now’ says CWU after girl’s mauling

Post by caroline/dnb on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:55 pm

http://www.cwu.org/news/archive/-change-dog-laws-now-says-cwu-after-girl-s-mauling.html

Check this out , know its in the uk but would like your comments on it
caroline/dnb

Back to top Go down

Re: Change dog laws now’ says CWU after girl’s mauling

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:56 pm

zzzzzzzzz

Last edited by RickyB on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 pm

I agree the control of dogs act to a certain extent is a good thing but on the other hand i dont agree it should just apply to certain breeds i think it should apply to all dog owners.

I understand that we have some very strong breeds on it but i dont agree that any pit bull is more dangerous than a jack Russel, collie or lab when it comes to attacks on children.

Most dog attacks that happened in the uk were mostly from rottys and they are not a ban breed there, im not saying rottys are dangerous ive met some stunners the control of dogs act or the DDA dont target the problem it just deals with the symptoms and not the cause. we all no that all dog attacks are preventible and aggression based issues should not be based on a specific type of breed when the truth is that any dog even as small as a cocker spaniel has the capability to inflict a fatal injury on a child. If you read the in's and out's of past attacks its very easy to see were people have gone wrong.

Their is more children killed by the parents each year than any dogs have done in a decade and the same with people being killed by cars, if they rid the laws and started to put as much time and money into facilitating country's with training venues to educate people it would be more productive in the prevention of attacks in which dogs are blamed instead of the irresponsible or uneducated owner..
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:50 am

zzzzzzzz

Last edited by RickyB on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Shipley,Staffords on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Granted " man " dogs have the heritage to produce potential biters & a large dog on a mission is gonna bite hard , however over here in the UK Border collies , labs & Jacks far outway any bull breeds in the bite stats !

Have to say , i agree that all dogs should be muzzled in public !
This would eradicate so many problems & take away any risks ,
prevention is so much better in my eyes !

Cheers , Terry.
Shipley,Staffords

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:43 pm

I have to say it has been law for many years in the UK to have a dog on a lead at all times in public, many people and I mean many people dissregard this law and assume it only applies to dogs on the exempt register which are of a banned type, this is not true, it has been law for over 100 years in GB that a dog must be under control in public, whatever the breed, I agree with Ricky to a point, but as Lilly & Terry pointed out it should apply to all dogs, again whatever the breed, because if bull breeds, mastifs ect.. were all muzzled, this would in theory only prevent attacks from those few breeds, offers no protection to those who are vunerable to attacks from breeds that won't be covered by the law, in The Netherlands they had "Regeling Agressieve Dieren", In English it means Arrangement for aggressive animals, this law was active for many many years and it was a straight away seize and destroy of all dogs of type, it didn't stop attacks, they were still going on, it was just by other breeds not covered by RAD, in the end they decided to repeal it, because it was a waste of time... which I'm sure most of you are aware, the issue we face in the UK is that the KC won't let any of their recognised breeds be legislated against, but the truth is, around the time of the 1991 act being passed there was a spate of attacks (some fatal) from KC recognised breeds........... I often wonder if DDA more specifically sect 1, was a case of dodgy politics more than a case of keeping people safe? Suspect Suspect

~John~
Bullseye

Back to top Go down

Post by united on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:45 am

The dog that attacked the girl was a Staff or Bull terrier and not a Bulldog (that might change in time the way the press alter facts).

The DDA was a case of appeasing the press and was a kneejerk reaction to the sensational headline's of the time. The KC and RSPCA supported it because their member's dog's were not being legislated against, as they are so called recognised breed's and the bulldog is not.

united

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:47 pm

RickyB wrote:Lilly, I will say Rottweilers are dangerous... I have seen lots that are ,they ware bred to be watch dogs, and have killed way more people in UK than any other breed.... they ware bred to be dangerous., the APBTs might not attack people anymore than a Jack Russel but if they do they can do a lot of harm...the law here is good, and maybe it should be the same for all breeds... I think due to sheer numbers here the Labs are top of the breeds list for biting in Ireland... I think the only way to prevent any breed or mutt biting a child is have them all muzzled in public places ... R
if every dog was muzzled or simply just on a leash when out it would make a huge differance 2 the likes of me and many others walking down the street may it be with my dogs or children playing. I have always muzzled butch while out walking because of off leash dogs and find if i hadnt he would have been well put 2 sleep by now if he'd of being allowed 2 retalate 2 be attacked by such dogs. Thats one of my major issues when it comes 2 owning the breed for me. With attacks on kids the 9 times out of 10 happen ether in the home of the child or a family members home were the owners of such dogs never seem 2 be their when things happen. I dont believe that any breed is more dangerous than another or premedatates an attack i think the problem is that if people are going 2 have children around any dog u need 2 have somewhat knowledge in understanding the work involved. There's so much more 2 dog attacks than people think because there's 2 much distraction's with the media etc blowing out the wrong information 2 people stating certain breeds are more dangerous and likely 2 attack than others. The truth is if every pit bull, rotty staffy were rid of 2morrow there will still be attacks because the problem is not the dogs its uneducated owners thats the problem because they dont rec the signs.
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top