Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Chaining/Tethering Good or Bad??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it a good way of keeping a dog?

50% 50% 
[ 4 ]
50% 50% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 8

Chaining/Tethering Good or Bad??

Post by Harry on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:29 pm

Please vote 'Yes' if you think Chaining/Tethering is good when done under the right circumstances or 'No' if you think it is a bad idea no matter what the circumstances.

As in the poll lads and ladies, I think the forum has gone a bit stale lately so thought this would be a good way to get some good info and opinions.

I personally think that chaining is a very good way to contain your dog, it is safe, strong and allows the dog to stretch his/her legs and get plenty of stimulation while outside. I think that chaining is also good as it can usually be done on just plain Grass or when it gets mucky, on crushed rock, where as in a kennel, the dog usually stands/lies on concrete all day which I think causes sores and/or hard skin to form on the dogs elbows and other weight baring areas.

There are some drawbacks to a chain set up tho, if you have multiple dogs and if one gets loose then there is no second barrier to get to the other dog which if they were in kennels there would be and also a small dog could run up on a big dog which wouldn't end well and vice versa would almost certainly end in death. Another problem is stray dogs can enter the dogs space but a good perimeter fence would prevent this.

IMO these are the Pros:

Easy on the dog,
Less of the 'caged' feeling from a kennel,
Lots of space compared to a crate or small kennel (10' chain = almost 350sq')
Very safe and durable once maintained properly,

And the Cons:

No security from other dogs were they to get loose & put the chained dog at an unfair disadvantage in the case of a yard accident,
Can get unwanted attention from uneducated neighbours etc,
Can occasionally hurt a dog if an improper chain type/size is used, 12-15mm is enough for any dog.

I look forward to your opinions on this guys, I think it'll be a good thread Wink

Harry

Last edited by YENALED1 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:23 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed the bit after Grass & 2) added start bit)
Harry

Back to top Go down

Re: Chaining/Tethering Good or Bad??

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:38 pm

!

Last edited by Come & Go on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:45 pm

I would defo prefer to see my dogs in Kennels/runs if they had to be outside. A dog brought up in a kennel knows no better and here in Ireland there are only a tiny few that could guarantee another dog wouldnt get near. Pens also keep people away from your dogs which is another reason I prefer them. My kennels are at the end of the back garden and kinda hidden if any one tries to goes down there without me it isnt long before they hear me scream.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 pm

Realised a mistake up there, should be 12-15mm not 6mm as I said, sorry. Messed up the conversion from 1/2" lol.

Yes, Come & Go, that is what the Poll title was but it doesn't appear to be showing.

That is something else I forgot C&G, the Americans always mention Rock Dust, I think it is the stuff you get from a quarry who breaks up Limestone?
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:55 pm

!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:00 am

!

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:03 am

Just thought I would add, I'm getting my pup in a few weeks and I plan to have her in a kennel rather than on a chain set-up only (I may add a chain if she gets good at jumping, although I have 8ft high wire ordered so it'll be a while before she climbs that lol) while I'm at school/work whatever. The pen is only in the preliminary stages so far as I have to wait for the doors and other miscellaneous parts which are to be added to the kennel part (Ordered before Xmas!!) but after that it should be done fairly quick. The plan is for a 60' x 20' kennel with optional divider to make a 40' x 20' and 20' x 20' so the Golden Retrivers and Staff can be kept separate for holidays or when Ruby and the bitch pup come into heat together and don't get along etc.

I won't have just a chain set-up because my other 2 have just Petsafe Radio Fence collars and could be in contact with the Staff, which if she turns out to be DA would end badly. Hopefully I'll be able to keep Aggression levels low tho and that wouldn't have been a problem anyway.

Jules, can you edit the post so it says "12-15mm is enough for any dog" instead of 6mm. Thanks.
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:24 am

sorted I hope

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:28 am

Come & Go wrote:limestone ???

lime burns Harry, rock dust is probably an american term for a type of sand

might want to edit the first post Harry to include a clear question as to what we're voting on

is it the exact question I posted or is it a chain versus kennel/run poll

would like it clarified before I vote Wink

& I don't think a chain vs run poll would actually work, too many different factors to consider, loaction, size of yard, security of yard, no. of children nearby, etc...etc...

Sorry man, I made a balls of these posts. Didn't get my point across very clearly.

I edited it now, hopefully it makes more sense now? Please tell me if there's any more contextual errors Wink

I will probably get stone for my new kennel, what would you recommend I ask for inside in Roadstone? Is there something specific I should say or will I just get the finest chippings I can?

Harry

Last edited by Harry on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pasted twice :()
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 am

YENALED1 wrote:sorted I hope

Thanks Jules.

So to clarify, you use kennels so that other dogs can't get to yours?
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:51 am

I would probably use kennels/runs anyway. I just done like the look of chains. Here in Ireland I just think it is safer to have this type of breed in kennels if you cant keep them in the house. JMO

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:33 am

Ive no problem with chain setups. It just wouldnt be my cup of tea.I like to have that extra securtiy of the pens. My girls are kept in pens, they have a small garden which wouldnt be big enough , to keep them apart when one is in season if they where on chain setups. A few years ago my fella had a pom mix that was on a chain setup out the back , he went out one morning and it had acidently hung its self. I also think having pens is more clean, keeps the surrounding area clean from poop/pee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 am

!

Last edited by Come & Go on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:41 am

Well that sounds like good stuff so. If it soaks away the water and doesn't leave big puddles it'll be grand.
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:14 pm

i think it depends on each situation .

in urban areas if theres only 1 dog and your walls are high enough the dog could have the run of the garden, if there are low walls or multiple dogs pens would be the safest opition.

in rural areas pens or chain spots are essential , if i was down the sticks i'd use a good strong chain spot or even a cable set up i like the look of them and they cost a fraction of the price of a pen Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Yea, I like them overhead cables too James... Have something lined up where I can have a load of chain set ups, a couple of years down the line Wink
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Harry wrote:... Have something lined up where I can have a load of chain set ups, a couple of years down the line Wink

them cables can be ran along the ground too .

have ye got your eye on a farmers daughter harry ? lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by rosscockram on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:31 pm

lol! lol!
rosscockram

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:29 pm

my lot would go nuts if i tethered them, there so used to there freedom....lol

id use it for the likes of camping but not at home.
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtylilrossie on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:41 pm

i would rather keep them inside the house as our two are but if that wasnt an option then it would have to be kennels, id be afraid that they would come to a nasty end chained up..

dirtylilrossie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:46 pm

i belive dogs would prefare to be outside in a run or on a chain rather than being cooped up in a house ,
i have nothing against keeping a dog in the house i have a yorkie that lives in the house .
i just think the dogs would rather be outside in they're naturel enviorment Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:52 pm

lol james ud wanna check vito out.... i let him out the back and he cries and looks so sorry for himself at the door to get back in.

daisy and shells dont care where they are but i do keep mine in the house.
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:19 pm

james b wrote:
Harry wrote:... Have something lined up where I can have a load of chain set ups, a couple of years down the line Wink

them cables can be ran along the ground too .

have ye got your eye on a farmers daughter harry ? lol! lol! lol!

No lol!

My Granddad has some land that would be perfect, no spying neighbours lol. I'm sure he'd let his eldest grandson use it Razz
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:35 pm

zzzzzzzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top