Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Dog almost Stolen

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dog almost Stolen

Post by staceyol on Fri May 13, 2011 9:23 am

I was walking Molly lastnight in the usual spot in Citywest and was approached by a young man in his early twenties. He insisted that Molly was his dog and was very aggressive... He had two other friends with him in a car and one of them came over shouting abuse at me that I had stolen Molly from the other fella's garden!!!

So I twisted Molly's lead around my arm a number of times in case he tried to grab her and I had my house key in my other hand between my fingers in case I had to defend myself. I was really shook up, but managed to get the reg of their car and the make and am reporting it to the Gardai today. This has happened to me twice in this area in the last month. I'm sick with worry over it to be honest. I'm going to have to walk Molly somewhere else away from the area altogether.

Just wondering if anyone else is having similar problems in and around the Tallaght area?

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog almost Stolen

Post by Guest on Fri May 13, 2011 12:04 pm

I hate Tallaght! And try to avoid it for anything. I never walk mine up there, apart from the mountains. I actually thought Citywest was a nice area , but they are very close neighbours!
If you drive why not pop down to corcagh park its only a 5mins drive :)

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED on Fri May 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Bloody hell Stace what on ordeal, I have got goose bumps thinking about it. Make sure you report it and keep in touch with the Gardai to make sure they have done something about it. What with fending other dogs off and having to carry sticks and Air bottles it makes you wonder what else we have to stuff down the back of our draws to keep our dogs safe. I am glad you got home safe and sound and just be careful where you walk for a while. Try and find out if these guys are local or where they just trying their luck as they where passing through.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisastaff on Fri May 13, 2011 12:22 pm

jesus thats awful Stacey

Jules your right as if people dont have enough to contend with without this crap as well Evil or Very Mad

Lisastaff

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED on Fri May 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Just a thought should we post their reg and car make on the forum if it was me I would and put it all over face book. Will check with Lilly and see what she thinks. I know that you wouldnt want any trouble from these scum bags but I would shout it from the roof tops if it was me and someone had try to take my dog. Feck it I would be on 2fm in the morning telling everyone. Just reminded me of an incident that happened years ago when my daughter Fiona was out in the park with her Bloodhound. An itinerant (about 16yrs old) came over grabbed the dog and tried to run, Fiona about the same age tackled him and by the time I had got to her 2 fellas where trying to get fiona off the young lad. This all happend in the local park during a 'fun day' in the middle of a couple of hundred people, Some nerve but the young lad met his match when he thought he could take Fionas dog. lol

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by staceyol on Fri May 13, 2011 12:57 pm

I've just been on the phone to Tallaght Garda station and I have to go down in person tomorrow so they can make a report of it. I won't say the reg (just in case) but it was a blue Nissan Primera and the lads were all in their early twenties and to be honest looked like right scumbags...

I feel sick in the stomach with worry in case they find out where I live but I'm probably just over worrying. Just a few weeks ago in the same area of Citywest a young traveller stopped me, he was only about 13 but asked me where I got the dog and that she looked exactly like a dog that was stolen last year so it has me thinking.... As of today though I will be driving out of Tallaght to another area to walk her. I was using Corkagh park and loved it, but Molly was attacked by another dog who was off lead and no collar on so the dog's owner had to kick his dog 5 or 6 times to get it off Molly, so I have been avoiding Corkagh the last while...

Does anyone know where I can get some mace/pepper spray to carry with me in case something like this happens again? Spray the ba**ard in the face and a good kick in the ba**s should do the trick Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED on Fri May 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Stacey is Molly micochipped? When strangers approach you and ask where you got her from Lie and say she is M/chipped and has been registered with you since she was 10 weeks old. I always say that if anyone asks me and even if they say they think they recognise the dog I say impossible because it came from the Cork lol

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by staceyol on Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 pm

YENALED1 wrote:Stacey is Molly micochipped? When strangers approach you and ask where you got her from Lie and say she is M/chipped and has been registered with you since she was 10 weeks old. I always say that if anyone asks me and even if they say they think they recognise the dog I say impossible because it came from the Cork lol

Yes Jules she got microchipped by the rescue she came from but it is still registered to them, they thought it best to leave it that way for the first couple of months just in case it didn't work out. That's something I will need to change as I have Molly 6 months now and I couldn't of asked for a better dog Laughing

You're right in future I will say that I have her from a pup and it couldn't possibly be their dog if I'm approached again (hopefully not) !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 16, 2011 3:10 am

Omg what a thing to happen!! I think id defo be carrying some pepper spray around with me after that!! Similar thing happened with my brother when he had Shadow out one night, bunch of scumbags started saying Shadow was their dog... My brother just turned & ran with her Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by deed not breed on Mon May 16, 2011 2:43 pm

same thing happened to me in balbriggan guy insisted that hannibul was his and had been stolen from his back garden still wont walk him wen its dark some people are just creeps worst part was my boy was jumpin around giving him kisses and would have been quite content on going with him!!!!
deed not breed

Back to top Go down

Post by staceyol on Mon May 16, 2011 3:35 pm

deed not breed wrote:same thing happened to me in balbriggan guy insisted that hannibul was his and had been stolen from his back garden still wont walk him wen its dark some people are just creeps worst part was my boy was jumpin around giving him kisses and would have been quite content on going with him!!!!

I know, Molly was doing the exact same at first, wagging her tail and jumping up to him but when it got heated and voices were raised she just looked a little confused... I'm glad she's not people aggressive but I secretly wish she would of at least growled at him.... Never walking her that way again and am now carrying a hurly when I walk her, I must look a right sight but I don't care, anyone trys that again and I'll smack them with it lol Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by deed not breed on Mon May 16, 2011 4:20 pm

i no wat u mean i was puttin on the whole tough act hoping for a bit of back up but no he was the same as molly confused but still wagging but if it had of been jojo i was walking she would have tore him apart she is my tiny pug that rules the roost and is the most cranky grumpy dog i have ever owned but she is gas Surprised
deed not breed

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule on Mon May 16, 2011 4:33 pm

stacey wot a terrifying thing to happen to you. im glad you and molly are ok. ive never had a problem like that before but i will be taking precautions in future. ive had ppl slow down in there cars to look, god what if they where going to do the same. thank you so much for sharing. i hope the scum get whats coming to them, approaching a woman on her own. dont know what my lot would do in a situation like that, they would prob run.
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon May 16, 2011 5:08 pm

You guys do realise what you're after saying, don't you?
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by deed not breed on Mon May 16, 2011 5:11 pm

wat u mean?
deed not breed

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED on Mon May 16, 2011 6:11 pm

^
^
^
^

Not sure if that remark is a declaration or an inquisition, enlighten us H
sunny

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon May 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Well, I have a feeling this won't go down well, but ah well, it's been awful quiet lately around these parts so here goes...

You guys are after saying that you would have preferred your dogs to be HUMAN AGGRESIVE, you are saying you would have liked your dog to growl at a stranger on the street. Which in my book is 100% unacceptable in ANY situation. It goes completely against the breed nature and what you are supposedly trying to do for the breed, I.e. Help it's public image.

If you don't agree with me, consider this, someone my age has his dog and when you talk to him the dog growls. Now from what I've learnt, this is the kinda thing that gets plastered all over the different forums stating things like: "he's doing no good for the breed" and/or "it's things like that which wreck things for everyone else" etc etc etc.

When in fact that is what you want your dogs to be like? IMO this is highly hypocritical and as above goes against both the breeds history and also the collective goal of the responsible owners.

Now I do accept that you felt threatened, but your solution is very poor IMO... if you wanted a protection dog, well then you should have bought a protection breed.

Harry.

P.S. I know this will probably annoy alot of you women, but it's my opinion, and mine alone.
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED on Mon May 16, 2011 7:24 pm

H have read all the posts over again and cant find where it states
preferred your dogs to be HUMAN AGGRESIVE
Read through them again and feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I know all my dogs would show a little aggression if they felt threatened by someone but I would like to think they where being protective. I truely believe that of all the dogs here Hank would be the only dog to go quietly and if he was to try and protect me it would be because he would follow Delilahs lead. She is very protective and wary of strangers.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls on Mon May 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Doesn't the breed standard also say they are a dog with courage they are loyal and protective over their loved 1s lol They will also go to any lengths to prove this??

Harry there is a huge difference between being human aggressive and being in a situation were your being threatened by 3 lads, by instinct your dog should know when to protect you and when not too, yes in some cases a dog might not understand what all the shouting is about and run away but hay forget about the hole history thing that doesn't come into it when a dog is put in this kind of situation, IMO and Stacey please don't take offense to what i say here, if this happened to me and butch just set there and done nothing i would be very disappointed in him, this is a dogs instinct your dealing with to protect its pack regardless of what breed it is. im not shy to say if it had of being butch he would have went ballistic if any of them little scrouts even trying to put their hand on his lead, i would have being more worried for them than i would of being for us lol and he is not human aggressive nor would it turn him that way its just him protecting and no dog should be faulted if he or she attacked some1 in a situation like this.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon May 16, 2011 8:45 pm

YENALED1 wrote:H have read all the posts over again and cant find where it states
preferred your dogs to be HUMAN AGGRESIVE
Read through them again and feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I know all my dogs would show a little aggression if they felt threatened by someone but I would like to think they where being protective. I truely believe that of all the dogs here Hank would be the only dog to go quietly and if he was to try and protect me it would be because he would follow Delilahs lead. She is very protective and wary of strangers.

Did one person not say they would have liked if the dog growled? That constitutes HA IMO.
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls on Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 pm

maybe me, sure i reckon i would have being doing a bit of growling at them myself harry lol! beware of the owner and not the dog affraid

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon May 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Lilly, I have to disagree with you, I personally would never want my APBT to show any degree of human aggression, no matter what the situation. It is not a good situation to be in with these dogs, with any other breed I would be quite happy to see any other dog defend me, I know for sure Bobby would not be happy with a stranger causing trouble with me or my sisters and also on occasion, when people have showed up when we havent been here, they weren't able to get out the car lol, and his sire put a head sized dent in some travelers hiace when he showed up selling gates when all my cousins were outside haha.

But still I wouldn't want an APBT to behave in that manner.

celticpitbulls wrote:Doesn't the breed standard also say they are a dog with courage they are loyal and protective over their loved 1s lol They will also go to any lengths to prove this??

Harry there is a huge difference between being human aggressive and being in a situation were your being threatened by 3 lads, by instinct your dog should know when to protect you and when not too, yes in some cases a dog might not understand what all the shouting is about and run away but hay forget about the hole history thing that doesn't come into it when a dog is put in this kind of situation, IMO and Stacey please don't take offense to what i say here, if this happened to me and butch just set there and done nothing i would be very disappointed in him, this is a dogs instinct your dealing with to protect its pack regardless of what breed it is. im not shy to say if it had of being butch he would have went ballistic if any of them little scrouts even trying to put their hand on his lead, i would have being more worried for them than i would of being for us lol and he is not human aggressive nor would it turn him that way its just him protecting and no dog should be faulted if he or she attacked some1 in a situation like this.
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule on Mon May 16, 2011 8:56 pm

celticpitbulls wrote:Doesn't the breed standard also say they are a dog with courage they are loyal and protective over their loved 1s lol They will also go to any lengths to prove this??

have to agree with ya lil, any breed that feels there owner is in trouble i think has the right to growl as its being protective.. a growl is a warning doesnt make the dog aggressive

Last edited by pitties rule on Mon May 16, 2011 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon May 16, 2011 8:57 pm

celticpitbulls wrote:maybe me, sure i reckon i would have being doing a bit of growling at them myself harry lol! beware of the owner and not the dog affraid

Jesus, id cross the road if I seen you coming lol lol lol
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED on Mon May 16, 2011 9:12 pm

I think there is a very small percent of circumstances where you couldnt blame a dog for growling, It was quite obvious by Staceys comment that it was no more than that. I am sure no matter what breed of dog you have you cant blame them for expressing their fears or picking up on yours. IMO I most certainly would not class that as human aggression. cherry

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top