Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Breaking/Parting Sticks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Breaking/Parting Sticks

Post by celticpitbulls on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:45 pm

What is a Break/Parting Stick?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If you've traveled in Pit Bull circles for any length of time, you've
probably heard mention of something termed a "breaking stick" or
"break stick". This is a safety item every Pit Bull owner should
possess. It is a hammer handle-sized piece of sturdy material (usually
wood, but sometimes fiberglass) with a handle end and a flat, wedge-
shaped end. This tool is used to break a Pit Bull off of another dog
during a fight should such an unfortunate event occur. The flat end of
then twisted to pop the jaw open and allow for enough leverage to
pull the Pit Bull off of the other dog without doing damage to either
dog.

Break sticks have a negative connotation because they are often
associated with dog fighters. However, responsible owners keep this
tool around in the event an accidental fight should occur. By using a
break stick, a Pit Bull can be broken off of another dog quickly and
safely, assuring as few injuries as possible.

A single breaking stick in a home with one or two house Pit
Bulls owned by a responsible person would not pose much of an
issue. However, coupled with suspicious activity, a break stick or two
could certainly be used against an owner in court. For this reason, it
is wise to keep your break stick under wraps. Don't advertise it's
presence, and recognize that it is a necessary tool for emergency
purposes only. It is not something to brag about or present to just
anyone.

Why a break stick is necessary:

Even the most well-behaved, docile Pit Bull could potentially find itself
in a fight one day. Because of the strength of the jaws of a Pit Bull,
once they've secured a hold on another dog they are tenacious and
difficult to force to release. A break stick can quickly and easily help
you get a Pit Bull to release another dog. Contrary to popular myth,
this does NOT prove that Pit Bull's have locking jaws. Pit Bulls simply
have a tenacity to hold on, and the break stick gives the owner
leverage to get a stubborn dog's jaws open.

A break stick would be most valuable in a home with two or more
dogs when one of those dogs is a Pit Bull. Accidental fights can and
do happen to the best of owners. A break stick is preparation and a
safety precaution. There is nothing scarier than a dog fight, except
perhaps the inability to break one up.

Hopefully, the only time a break stick would ever be necessary is for
an accidental fight within your own home. However, because of the
irresponsibility of other owners, there is always the possibility for a
fight outside of the home with a strange, loose dog.

if the areas you usually walk you dog in mean high probability of a fight, keeping the
break stick with you may be more prudent an idea. And if at all
possible, keep your dog away from areas where off leash dogs are
known to frequent. Try to avoid trouble at all costs.

Do's and Don't's of Break Sticks:

* Do keep a break stick handy in the home where you can easily
access it should a fight break out. By the door to the yard and
in the kitchen are possible choices.
* Do familiarize yourself with the stick and how to use it BEFORE
you actually every do need to use it.
* Should you need to use your break stick, straddle the Pit Bull
from behind, clasp your knees around its waist. Use one hand
to steady the dog's head (hold onto the scruff or collar) and
the other hand to insert the flat end of the break stick into the
far corner of the Pit Bull's mouth (at the gap between the back
of the jaw and the molars). Twist the stick and as soon as you
gain leverage, pull the dogs apart (the second dog should be
tied to a sturdy object before hand, if possible, especially if the
second dog is a Pit Bull).
* Do realize that a break stick used on two Pit Bulls equally
engaged in a fight may not be advantageous.
* Do understand the limitations of the break stick and have
alternate methods at your disposal.
* Do not use a break stick on breeds other than the Pit Bull,
and or other related bull an terrier breeds.

while breaking sticks are effective tools to break an accidental pit bull fight, they have being initially created by dog men in order to allow them to separate the dogs in a pit. It is a device often associated with the brutal sport of dog fighting. Since accidental fights can happen often not the pit bull to start it, its recommended that pet pit bull owners also have a breaking stick as a precaution, even though you don't plan to use it in an illegal context, however you should be discreet, breaking sticks are not something to brag about plus the general public can easily get the wrong impression if your walking around with this stick in your hand. Breaking sticks are not illegal, but they are considered dog fighting paraphernalia in certain country's.
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Breaking/Parting Sticks

Post by eamo s on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:49 pm

Lilly i totaly agree with having a breaking stick or sticks. I used to have them myself, a friend of mine made them. Sadly when i got the knock of death at the door. I was questioned about various tools and exercise equipment. People who have these tools, should know how to apply them. If you have to Pits, i recomend 2 sticks. 1 part i dont agree with, it says clasp the dogs collar or scruff. Certain dogs can just lash around and grab you, not intentionaly. The method i'd use if i wasnt sure about the dog. Grab them by the skin on the back of the head. That way you have better control and a less chance of getting bitten. The breaking stick is essential in any house hold that have these dogs.
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:28 pm

was actually thinking of getting some myself.... saves a hand or arm...lol

thought it was best to hold the dogs at the hips inbetween our legs... like lock ur legs around them so if they do swing around they wouldnt catch ya
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:01 pm

i totally agree every responsable owner should have one, i was going to bring this topic up but i was unsure of how it would be looked upon, the few if seen had been made from the handles of hammers and are very easy to make its not a bad idea to carry one in your back pocket especily on days like the walk yiz had in the park even though all your dogs seem to be very well behaved you just never know what can happen do you

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:28 am

we all love the breed and want whats best for it and the people that own it, i believe the more info about the breed and how to control it can only be a positive, we also have to make people aware that all breeds have a specific purpose and need different kinds of approaches to cater for them, as the breed was created for a specific purpose such as animal combat i think the topic can only help not only the armature pit bull or bull breed owner but can help long term owners be more responsible, aware and knowledgeable, i think we need to understand the breed as much as possible and to prevent situations unnecessarily getting out of hand if you don't know what to do if a fight was to break out, this tool is a good thing to have as most times i,ve seen and heard of scuffles people seem to pull the dogs apart from each other, use objects to hit dogs etc, this can cause more damage than the dogs them self do, and will also intensify a situation by making the dogs involved go into a deeper frenzy, there's a lot of people that own the breed that could get a serious fright if they were to see 2 dogs go at it as it can sound and look worse than it is, i think the main thing if it is something that comes your way in the future is to keep your cool because if your any way inclined to be a screamer it will just make things worse for all involved and for the public eye, if something such as a small tool like this can be used in such cases it sure would make a huge difference, keeping calm and understanding how to react if a situation like this occurs is always handy to know.

At the walks we have its more a controlled environment, all dogs that attend the walk must be muzzled as its the law in a public place and we don't want incidents like this happening so its very unlikely that a dog attending our walks will cause any harm to another dog, we do come across other dogs off leash while walking but not to much hassle as we also have some people there hands free if we should be comforted with one of these off leash dogs. you must come to the next 1 you'd enjoy it James.
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:02 am

eamo s wrote: The method i'd use if i wasnt sure about the dog. Grab them by the skin on the back of the head. That way you have better control and a less chance of getting bitten. The breaking stick is essential in any house hold that have these dogs.
i would not recomend this method because there is not enough streach in this area ,if you were to hold a dog like this and it lunges forward you could and can lift the skin from the scalp causing a very bad injury , the best way is mentioned in celticpitbulls post.

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:19 pm

i think dealing with this breed we must always mention the fact that human and dog aggression are 2 totally different things, i would much rather prefer and feel safer to break up 2 pit bulls than lets say 2 collies or other breeds, why? as most of you would be aware that the pit bull would be focused 100% on its opponent, they are quite calm them self if things like this happen and breaking them up its very rare they lash out at the people restraining them, However, from a behavior end of things we must understand they still have the same instincts as other dogs, for instance if you are dealing with a behavior such as dog aggression and your dog is in front of you while he/she is in that fight frame of mind looking at another dog then you should never correct from behind as the dog is not in its right frame of mind and can redirect if he/she doesn't know whats coming, always make your dog aware its you by ether talking to him/her or being beside them, that way they know who's handling them and that its not another threat. People mostly get bitten when they put their hands in between the 2 dogs, this is something that's very common as you might hear in story's "the dog even bit me" when its not the case the bite was for the dog and the hand got in the way.

other breeds when getting into a fight are not so confident and this can be very dangerous when breaking them up, when they get into fight mode they snap at almost any physical contact to protect them self, this is why you should always give other breeds a few moments as generally most of the time one of them will submit and walk away.
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullrover on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Some good advice there, but if you find yourself in a situation without a break stick choking off the dog is another option that works pretty quick
Bullrover

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 pm

I made a break stick the other day..
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:49 pm

good man harry..... i wouldnt even know where to start so id buy one.
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:03 am

It was a bit of a failure lol, but snow day tomorrow so i'll do the proper one then, the one I made went way to narrow and is very thin in the middle with a thick top, which would make it difficult to get into the dogs mouth.

but that's why I made a practice one first Wink
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:33 pm

well at least ya gave it a go harry.... i made a flirt pole and if ya seen the state of it... looks more like a duster....lol... dont ask how it ended up like that but it will do the job for now till i make a better one. dogs love it but it wont last

pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top